Commercial Flooring Specialist
Tom Erisman, most recently a Principal Scientist with Armstrong Flooring Inc. in their New Product Development Group, retired in July of 2018 after 46 years of service. During his career, Tom was responsible for development, production, testing and evaluation of commercial resilient flooring products and their installation and maintenance systems. Tom was responsible for generating the company’s technical product literature, including the commercial product catalog, installation/maintenance manuals, product data sheets and architectural guide specifications as well as providing technical support and training for the field sales and marketing organizations. Tom became one of the world’s foremost experts in static dissipative tile and their installation systems.
Other areas Tom has extensive experience and knowledge:
- PVC formulation and compounding of plastisols, dry blends and filled mill/calendar formulations
- PVC formulation for flame and smoke suppression
- Rubber and elastomeric formula compounding
- Pilot plant experience in compounding, coating and fusion, print-on-dry blend and consolidation technologies
- Factory testing on commercial sheet equipment
- Performance attributes of resilient flooring including wear resistance and durability, resilience, flame and smoke properties and chemical and stain resistance
- Benchmarking of competitive flooring products
- Scratch, scuff, stain and maintenance characteristics of high-performance coatings
- ESD flooring performance and certifications
- Concrete moisture testing
- Adhesives evaluation
- Commercial flooring maintenance products, systems and procedures
- Commercial flooring maintenance life cycle costs
Since 2000, Tom has represented AFI on the ASTM International F06 Committee on Resilient Flooring. In 2018, the committee presented him with its top annual award, the Award of Merit. This prestigious award, which includes the title of fellow, is ASTM’s highest recognition for individual contribution to developing standards. Tom was honored for exceptional and significant leadership contributions to ASTM committee F06 as an executive manager, subcommittee officer, nominating committee chair and any other role where a knowledgeable and balanced perspective was needed.
He also represented Armstrong (and the United States) on the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Technical Committee 219 where he authored five standards and participated in the development of numerous other global standards for resilient floor coverings.
Along with other AFI colleagues, Tom was also a member of the Resilient Floor Covering Institute (RFCI), the leading industry association for hard surface flooring. Tom holds an A.S. in Science from Millersville University.